So, it's time to bid farewell to your old apartment and move into your swanky new pad, but you're in panic mode because there are still a hundred things left to do on your checklist. Don't worry, because we're here to help with the lowdown on everything you need to know and do before moving, so you can stay on top of all your tasks, and have a stress-free moving day – yes, it is possible!
One Month to Go
- Decide what stays and what goes. Anything you won't be taking with you can be sold online, or given to charity. Click here to find out where you can donate unwanted items in Hong Kong.
- Notify your landlord. Most rental agreements will require the tenant to notify the landlord at least one month beforehand.
- Find a moving company. Get the best quotation from different companies such as GoGoVan, Lalamove, and Crown Relocations.
Two Weeks to Go
- Change of address. Notify your bank, credit card companies, and the Inland Revenue Department about your change of address before you move to avoid missed posts.
- Contact your gas, electricity, water supply, and telecoms companies to let them know when you want to terminate their services at your current place, as well as when and where you need them again. Also, make sure to arrange a time and date for their staff to come and check your meters so you don't end up paying more than you owe.
- Begin to pack. Organising and labelling your boxes will make things a whole lot easier. Make sure to also have enough packing tape and bubble wrap on hand – you'll be surprised how quickly they run out!
One Week to Go
- Put aside the essentials. You don't want to pack away items such as towels, toiletries, chargers, or anything that you need on a daily basis before moving day.
- Confirm all the arrangements with your moving company. Since you booked them in advance, now is a good time to contact them again to let them know roughly how much you will need them, the exact cost, and any last-minute changes that need to be made on the day.
The Big Day
- Keep an eye on everything. Let the removal men know where to start first, or if there's anything fragile or heavy to be lifted.
- Double check the whole apartment to make sure that you haven't left anything behind.
- Once everything is at your new apartment, count up your boxes to check that everything has arrived.
- Be ready with enough cash to pay the moving company when they have finished the job, as most of them only accept cash.
- The final thing left to do now is to start unpacking!
Explore the rest of our Property
section on Localiiz
[button color="#008bd2" size="medium" link="https://localiiz.us4.list-manage.com/subscribe/post?u=c2964a434922598f5d8ee53ff&id=07d327a2e8" icon="" target="true"]Subscribe to receive our weekly newsletter[/button]