Starting this Saturday, the MTR is rolling out 541 new weekly train services to meet future demand and reduce current wait times for commuters. The bulked up schedule will have capacity to transport an estimated 420,000 additional passengers on the Island Line, Tseung Kwan O Line, and Ma On Shan Line as well as eight Light Rail routes.
The specific routes will be:
- Weekdays on Light Rail routes 507, 614, 615, 615P, 705, and 751;
- Saturdays on Ma On Shan Line and Light Rail routes 507, 610, 614, 615, 705, and 751;
- Sundays on Tseung Kwan O Line and Light Rail routes 507, 614, 614P, 615, 615P, 705, and 751;
- Immediate post-evening peak period and weekends on Island Line ;
- In addition, more coupled set Light Rail vehicles will be deployed on nine routes – 507, 610, 614, 614P, 615, 615P, 705, 751, and 761P – to provide extra carrying capacity on both weekdays and weekends.
The MTR is also looking at refurbishing or replacing 78 eight-car trains serving the Kwun Tong, Tsuen Wan, Island, and Tseung Kwan O lines.
“In the first three years of the Listening ‧ Responding Programme, we have added over 2,400 train trips a week to different MTR lines and more than 200 extra weekly services on Light Rail routes to serve our passengers. In addition, we are undertaking major capital investment projects to ensure that the community continues to enjoy safe, reliable and convenient train service in the future,“ said Lincoln Leong, Chief Executive Officer of MTR Corporation.
To maintain the smooth flow of passengers on and off trains, MTR said it will add 300 additional station assistants at busier stations in 2015 and will continue to enhance station facilities, customer service, and communications.
Other initiatives in 2015 include the refurbishment of public toilets on the Ma On Shan Line and a new LCD information display system on Island Line, Kwun Tong Line, and Tsuen Wan Line station platforms. Passengers can also expect multiple banknote acceptors on ticket machines at all stations and a new QR code ticketing for Airport Express.