As the Movember Foundation kicks off its campaign to get Hong Kongers more active and leading healthier lifestyles, we get some savvy tips from Muk Venkataraman, director and owner of private kettlebell training studio, Gorilla Strong, on how to get create more movement in our lives each and every day.
I have a quote which sums up how I feel. I always say “convenience is laziness”. If your life is too convenient, then you are making yourself lazy, and you are the only one who can change this. People use the same excuse when they make things “convenient”, they say they are “so busy”, but I always respond by saying, “yeah whatever, I’m busy too!”.
Make the change now and beat laziness with these 6 simple steps.
6 steps to beat laziness:
- Never take an escalator. Walk the stairs.
- Get off the elevator 4 or more floors before your destination. Not 2 floors, not 3, 4, or more.
- Try to install a standing workstation with the option of sitting down for a maximum of 15 minutes.
- Stop taking taxis. Walk to the bus stop and catch the bus or the MTR. No taxis allowed! Factor an extra 20 to 30 minutes in your commute. It’s not a big deal.
- Do your own grocery shopping. Stop sending your helpers to do this. If you are too busy to shop for your own groceries, you need a new life.
- Reach. Try to reach as far as you can. Get your body to lengthen itself.
The bottom line is always be moving. You are an animal designed to move constantly and at high speeds. Never lose this function of your body. What do you say Hong Kongers, will you accept the Gorilla challenge?
More Tips! Check out 6 Steps To Effective Weight Loss from IMI’s Dr. Ardyce Yik.Subscribe to receive our weekly newsletter