Back to Forum

where can i learn about wine in Hong Kong?

• Posted in "Food & Drink Discussions" Forum
  • Started on 13 Mar 2013 @ 11:12am
  • Last Reply 15 Mar 2013 @ 11:46am

Hi,
    I realised since starting my new job and going out with my very cultured colleagues that I know NOTHING about wine. It's pretty embarrassing! does anyone have any recommendations about where I can learn about wine in Hong Kong?
    Cheers!

• Reply Now
  • Profile_thumb_female Chris W.

haha! I bet they don't know as much as you think they do. Just blag it! ;-)

• Thumbnail_8thestate_normal The 8th E.

Maybe our winery will bring you some interests. We are the first winery in Hong Kong. Check our website for a brief idea, and perhaps come visit us on weekends for our public tasting sessions if you feel like having a sip in a cozy, relaxing barrel room.

www.the8estatewinery.com

• Thumbnail_186447_7811211_1095495316_s Lauren M.

If you really want to start with a foundation, I would strongly recommend taking a WSET course. The level 1 is for total novices, like this is white this is red. If you want to get your money's worth, I would recommend starting with WSET level two. You will learn basics about wine making, grapes, regions, etc. HKU Space offers a wonderful course in Canto and English!

Also, go to tastings! HK is wonderful as there are tasting every single night of the week. Flying Wine Maker has tastings and courses almost weekly, Meetup.com is also a good place to look for wine events, and check out your local wine shop.

And finally, hit the markets. The bazaars, like Cyberport and DB Homemade, always have a bunch of wine companies who are very knowledgable about wine. My company, House of FIne Wines, will be at the Island East Market (Tong Chong Street, Quarry Bay) this Sunday from 10-5. Come by for a glass and a mini lesson!

Happy drinking!

• Acd_logo_feature_logo_avatar Jess L.

Come along to our next First Wednesday of the Month tasting - April 3rd 6pm-7.30pm at our Tasting Room in Wanchai (801 Tai Yau Building, 181 Johnston Road). We will taste & discuss 6 wines, it's free of charge, all welcome - bring friends! We hold them every month. Alternatively check out our wine workshop. WSET courses also really good, worth looking into! Hope that helps.

• Profile_thumb Dan W.

Cheers guys (no pun intended!) ;-)
    I'll be sure to check out the suggestions. Watch this space. I'll be cultured in no time!