Back to Forum

No Reservations Allowed

• Posted in "Food & Drink Discussions" Forum
  • Started on 29 Oct 2012 @ 11:10am
  • Last Reply 2 Nov 2012 @ 11:30am

What are people's opinion on the new trend of restaurants that don't accept reservations? Eg, Brickhouse, Yardbird and recently the newly opened 22 Ships?

Part of me understands that a three-month waiting list for a restaurant can be ridiculous but potentially queuing for over an hour for dinner? Surely there's a happy medium to be found here! Maybe they can accept reservations but only up to 3 weeks in advance, that way there'll still be a "first come first serve" policy that applies to people calling up to reserve as opposed to standing on the street?

What are your thoughts?

• Reply Now
  • Thumbnail_369760_505080739_1309795608_s Hughie D.

I have always wanted to try the food at Yardbird and Brickhouse but have never bothered because I've heard they are always full. I think accepting reservations for up to 3 weeks (or something similar) would be a good idea.

That being said, its been ages since I've booked for a restaurant. If somewhere I wanna go is full then I just go try somewhere else..

• Thumbnail_bertha_chan_from_hong_kong_7 curv A.

The truth is, a lot of people in Hong Kong (esp. Secretary clerks) reserve at least 3-4 restaurants at the same time for their company lunch/dinner and there is nothing the restaurant can do when they don't show up. No reservation makes business management easier. On the other hand, it creates so much buzz as it's "hard to get".

There are 2 things you can do, propose to pay for a deposit to the restaurant manager so to secure space or book a table at a very early/ late time slot instead of the peak hours or simply just go for dinner at 630pm ;)

• Thumbnail_372604_500870688_1769329670_s Vanessa L.

Definitely a good point Bertha - I can imagine how frustrating it must be for restaurants to "lose" tables/bookings at the last minute so I suppose the no reservations policy at least somewhat guarantees (so long as the food is good) bums on seats!

Unfortunately for myself and I'm sure for a lot of people - work doesn't always finish early enough to allow dining at 6:30! :)

• Profile_thumb Emz B.

Yep, I heard that Hong Kongers have the habit of booking several restaurants in advance then choosing one on the night, must be infuriating!

By the way, Yardbird is one of the most over-rated restaurants I've ever been to. Not that the food is bad, just ridiculously over-priced yakitori (chicken on sticks). So you haven't missed anything!

• Thumbnail_369760_505080739_1309795608_s Hughie D.

Ah I'm glad to hear that I'm not missing anything! I guess the expensive prices go with what Bertha was saying about them being "hard to get".

Making several bookings and then not turning up with out notice is really unfair to restaurants.. before this thread I had heard of this happening but hadn't really thought about it from the point of view of the restaurant.